DescrubifyHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to DSB!
YouTube

Here you will see our member's YT pages.  You'll see SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE & other games as well. Please rate, comment and subscribe.  :D

mincereth

SSFIV:AE

Crimson_Thirst

SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE

DGWeasel

umataro42

Smooth-XLR

SF3:OE

JB-FTW1

SF3:OE

September 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Stay tuned y'all...
Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 pm by mrmajikbus45
I return in 2 weeks. I'm better than ever. Rested. Recovered completely now from my medical issues... See you soon.

Comments: 3

Share | 

Teaching a friend to play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mincereth
Admin

PSN : Mincereth

PostSubject: Teaching a friend to play    Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:42 pm

In my lifetime of playing videos games, I have had many, many friends who weren't video game capable. They can't control their character, they can't fire a gun, can't scroll through menus, etc. At times it was fun trying to help them and teach them the way of the gamer. However, there were times also where frustration will overtake me and I almost attack them for being so dumb. Honestly, playing a game shouldn't be so difficult! What's wrong with some people? lol

This story is somewhat related to incapable people.

A few weeks ago, I was teaching my friend how to play Street Fighter. He took the controller (cause he was intimidated by the fight stick) and since I didn't have another functioning controller, I took the fight stick. He played SFII way back in the day but he completely forgot what anything was, which was fine. He said he was good back in the day and can pick it up quickly. I thought, "Okay, he's a big gamer like me, he played this in the past, he should be able to learn this fast."

I was horribly wrong.

Being he played SF in the past, he took Ryu cause he remembered him (go figure). It took him about 15 minutes to learn to throw a fireball, SRK, Tatsu, and his Super and Ultra. Fine, that's not so bad. I then tried teaching him how to cancel a low forward into a fireball. It took him over a half hour trying to finally get it done. He just wasn't able to put them together for some reason. He started getting frustrated (as was I) cause he kept saying he was able to do it a long time ago and not now.

An hour later of him just testing things in training I finally asked if he wanted to spar. He said yes. And it was his downfall.

I picked random just to be fair and he of course picked Ryu. From the get go, he instantly jumps back several times and starts throwing fireballs. WTF is with people and doing this from the beginning?!! And when he finally did jump forward, he did the typical jump roundhouse to sweep. Ugh. I tried telling him to use the other normals but he never did...

He was in Italy these past few weeks but I'm hoping to get him to try this again and to train under me (and hopefully get him good at it so that I can have some local "competition" lol)

Any of you have anything related to something like this?

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/mincereth
DGWeasel

PSN : DGWeasel

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Well, my buddy you guy's have all mostly beat up, I've been tryin to train him since I got SF4, granted he's finally starting to get a lil better, he knows when to high/low block, he knows when to grab, he has a few flashy, though usually wasteful combos. He also picks Ryu(Go figure, lol). The one thing I can get him to do, is using his better normals, getting him to use basic combos, and for whatever reason, he loves to play runaway (which is weird cause I've been TRYING to put rushdown in his head since I first strated trainin him). But he's better than your friend Mince, he can actually beat my Akuma now, lol.

Also, I've been trying to teach my GF, but really the last games she ever played were on the NES, so it's tough going for me an her, lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.Youtube.com/DGWeasel
squishybee

PSN : GG4LYF

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:03 am

lol this reminds me of me when i first started sf4. Sad
i never played any other sf games (or other fighting games) before sf4 and i was pretty bad. the thing is, i didnt even know what i was doing wrong until a year & up of playing. but i think the only way to train someone to get better is through spending A LOT of time of nonstop playing. so its really all about getting used to everything.

i tried to teach my sister how to play, but of course shes been watching us play since day 1 so she wasnt TOO bad. she picked up pretty quickly too, imo Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fistvsface

PSN : Fistvsface

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm

My "sparring partner" and I have been trying to teach a friend of ours how to play Street Fighter. He's been pretty open to learning new things, and even reads the SRK forums for the characters that he's interested in. Our biggest problem in teaching him though, is that he's so reluctant to actually push buttons. He's just so afraid that if he gets countered or whiffs something, that people will make fun of him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DGWeasel

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:44 pm

MY biggest concern with my guy is that I think he's getting to used to fighting ME, he's been holdinghis own pretty well when I auto-pilot on him, but when I go outside the box and do things that I don't usually go out of my way to do, he falters big time.

Example: We did a Ryu/Ryu fight, he was baiting an punishing my FAs, baiting and punishing my jumpins, and taking advantage of my zoning attempts. Then, I patiented up a bit, and started copying his style, and whatya know, complete shutdown, lol
Back to top Go down
Mincereth
Admin

PSN : Mincereth

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:26 pm

your friend needs to come online and fight us DG, we'll show him what your DSB brethren can do!

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/mincereth
DGWeasel

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:35 pm

Silly Mince, you Pabbs an Figgems have already whoped him up pretty bad, lol. Plus, he's a broke moocher, and I'm not buying another copy so he can play, lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teaching a friend to play    

Back to top Go down

Teaching a friend to play
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1