Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DescrubifyHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Welcome to DSB!
YouTube

Here you will see our member's YT pages.  You'll see SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE & other games as well. Please rate, comment and subscribe.  :D

mincereth

SSFIV:AE

Crimson_Thirst

SSFIV:AE, SF3:OE

DGWeasel

umataro42

Smooth-XLR

SF3:OE

JB-FTW1

SF3:OE

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Stay tuned y'all...
So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 pm by mrmajikbus45
I return in 2 weeks. I'm better than ever. Rested. Recovered completely now from my medical issues... See you soon.

Comments: 3

So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Slaynman

Slaynman

PSN : Slaynman

So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) Empty
PostSubject: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 pm

This guide is a little old and not updated for Ultra, I may fix that in the future but for now read on knowing that info.

Well it’s going to take a lot of dedication to do it, up for it? Well this will cover what I know and what I can copy off of eventhubs without being too obvious Razz.

Keep in mind this guide is written for people who have some general knowledge of SSF4. If you are new to street fighter 4 then this guide may be difficult for you to follow.

Index
1) The general  strengths and weaknesses of Hakan
2) Normal and Special moves (and their uses)
3) The power of FADNC-ing
4) When do I oil up?
5) Combos, resets, and mix-ups
6) Option selects and safe jumps
7) Other info and stuff

1) Why does Hakan suck?

Well how dare you say that blasphemy, but he is considered the worst character in the game and I can’t argue with him not being the best. He is certainly not the worst though, far from it.

Strengths
+ Can really control space with normal moves.
+ When oiled, has an extremely dangerous command grab range.
+ Is the only character that can cancel his dash (oiled) with normals. *more on that later*
+ Has a very short jump to deal with projectiles.
+ Has very damaging attacks.
+ Great range on his Focus Attack.

Weaknesses
- Without oil, he lacks a lot of strengths.
- Has one of the worst defenses in the game.
- Has a tough time maintaining offense.
- Only has one light normal that he can chain and he needs oil to do it.
- hard to do, character specific cross up
- Does a mediocore amount of stun

As you can see he has glaring weaknesses in the defense department, but that can be fixed with a couple FADNC tricks. If you’re looking for some fast, crazy guy or some fortress of guile-like proportions, Hakan is not for you.  Hakan is a poke and mixup character, a grappler yes but he does not heavily rely on landing command grabs like Zangief or T.hawk.

Last edited by Slaynman on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : title change)
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Normal and Special Moves   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

2) Normal and Special Moves
Now I am not going over every single normal, just the ones that are useful and can be used effectively in play.

Standing Light punch- a decent range light attack that you can link off of fairly easily for some hit confirms into oil slide. It is one of the few normal that leave you + on block (+4 to be exact) so you can tick into command throw or just keep the blockstring going.

Crouching Light punch- why yes this does have less range then st.lp, but you can cancel into an oil slide (lp oil slide only, other versions are too slow). There are not many cancellable moves for Hakan so it’s good to know the ones he has.

Standing Medium punch
- A good poke, combo-able, + on block, what more do you want? Well it’s hard to combo with this, it’s only +1 on block, and can’t lead to anything if you end a combo with it…..forget I said anything, it’s still good. It can also be used as an AA with it's deceiving hitbox.

Crouching Medium kick
- A slow normal, but it is cancellable and has good range so it can lead into an oil slide or into a FADC to get closer to your opponent.

Standing Heavy punch- One of Hakan’s few anti-air options, and it hits twice so it can help against people abusing focus attacks. Unless you know how to time it right, this might trade a bit if your using it as an AA.

Crouching light kick- Only chainable normal Hakan has, and you need oil to do it. Even if you’re not oiled though you can still do 1 cr.lk into a tick grab instead of 2-3 oiled ones

Forward Light kick- In AE this is special cancellable, your go to move for ending your links with (forward lk can combo into hp oil slide, unlike cr.lp) and….well just go to the other info section and look at the hitbox on it. Look at it!

Forward Medium punch- Another of Hakan’s few cancellable normals. This move can be used as an AA if timed right (or you can go under your opponent, confusing them) and this move has quite a bit of hitstun to it so it’s the best normal to use for FADNC combos. It is unsafe if done at close range so know your spacing of this move.

Forward Heavy punch- Holy crap 150 damage? That’s insane right? It can also be used as an AA if you can predict the opponent’s jumping. It’s slow and will most likely trade, but 150 damage man, who cares if you trade.

Forward Heavy kick- Slow, but has tons of range especially when oiled. If your oiled this move will give you an untechable knockdown and whether your oiled or not, will juggle with jumping medium punch. It is unsafe if done at close range so know your spacing of this move.

Jumping Medium punch- If this hits an airborne opponent, it will leave them in a juggle state. You can juggle with F.HK, oil slide, or ultra 2 (it’s also a not half bad move to use air to air)

Jumping heavy kick
- This and jumping medium kick can cross up when done right, as well as being Hakan’s most damaging air normal.

Jumping Heavy punch- only does 10 less damage then J.hk for a lot more range and easier to combo off of, I wonder why I don’t use it more often.

tl;dr? – Pokes = st.mp, st.lp, fwrd.lk, fwrd.hp
AA = fwrd.hp, st.hp, fwrd.lp, fwrd.mp

Well, on to the special moves and super/ultras.

Oil shower

His most important move, giving him tons of new abilities as well as a 10% damage reduction. The light version is the fastest, but the heavy version gives you more time. Unfortunately it is highly punishable and if you get hit during oil up you gain less time. Ex version gives you projectile invincibility and makes it so you can cancel the oil up with coward crouch (if you cancel the Ex version with coward crouch, it will give you the equivalent of a LK oil up) , but it’s just as vulnerable as the heavy version. Added in AE was the ability for the oil time to stack, for a maximum of 30 in-game seconds and making Hakan that much more threatening.
Lk oil = 7 seconds
Mk oil = 9 seconds
Hk oil = 12 seconds
Ex oil = 15 seconds

Now what does oil do you ask? Well it gives your command normal (the ones you press forward then a button) more range, you can slide during your focus attack, you can FADNC, more range on your forward and back dash, more damage on specials and your super/ultras, and a ton more range on your command grabs and ex oil slide. It is crucial to oil up whenever possible.

Oil slide

The low hitting move that will be used for all of you combos, sets you up for some very good mixups, and will most likely be a major part in maintaining offense. The light punch version is the fastest and the other versions all have the same start-up, but what button you press determines how far you slide on the ground and damage (lp being the shortest and weakest, hp being the longest ). This move is unsafe on block, unless you space it correctly so you hit them with the end of the slide, or do a meaty.

Now the oil slide has two follow-ups, one is the body press, which does extra damage and leaves you at the perfect spot to cross up, or do almost anything really. The second one is the oil up, which will leave a lot less time to do something and less damage, but you get a free oil up that can’t be punished In any way. One thing about the oil follow up. After it ends you can do a light attack that will go through them on wake up giving you the illusion of hitting them, but then you grab right after (preferably ultra since they might do a reversal if your sticking a limb out). If you press a button to follow up, you can no longer FADC the oil slide, so be wary of that.

The light and medium versions of this move have a small amount of projectile invincibility ( so if the round starts and your opponent throws a fireball, lp slide under that shit!) with the heavy version has none. The EX version has complete projectile invincibility and while oiled, it goes from the range of the LP slide to longer and faster than the HP version, making it one of the best anti-projectile moves in the game.

In v.2012 the body press follow-up does 50 extra stun (150 in total), his oil follow up gives you a little bit of extra oil time (pretty sure it went from 7 to 10 seconds) and when you connect a heavy slide and don't do any follow-up at all, you will go on the other side of the opponent. Now this is character specific so make sure you know who it works on if you're going to use it. Here is a list on people it will not work on ( it will work on everyone in the corner unless specified).

Makoto, Dudley, Yang, Hakan (finicky), Guy, Cody (won't work mid or corner), Sagat, Bison, C.Viper, Dhalsim, Chun-li (won't work mid or corner), Yun, Guile, Blanka, Rufus, T.Hawk,

Oil Rocket
God this command grab sucks right? Well that’s why you got to pay attention and oil up. While unoiled all versions of this move have the same range, but what button you press determines how far you “squish” them away with lp going the farthest and hp the shortest. LP rocket is preferred since you can get a free oil up after, hp is used for dat damage while keeping you close to your opponent. Medium seems pointless at first, but it can set you up for a safe jump.

While oiled this move gets a RIDICULOUS amount of extra range, with LP now being the most range and hp being the shortest, and an extra 20 damage to all versions. With this command grab you can now tick throw effectively and show people how good you are at churning butter online. Like I said though, this is not the main thing a Hakan player should be going for, this is just another tool in his mixup bag (if only that bag had a working cross up in it Sad ).

Unlike other grappler command grabs, this one is 3 frame instead of 2, so you can actually be beaten out if the opponent does a move, so watch out. The EX version has startup invincibility and pushes them about as far as the heavy version, while having more damage and range then the hp version.

Oil Dive
Once again, another move that looks useless, but unlike oil rocket you don’t need oil for this to be not useless. Oil dive is a slow, jumping command grab that does not grab people who are crouching, but will only grab them while standing or low off the ground. There are only 2 uses for this move. One is as a move on an opponent’s wakeup, but in order to do this you have to time it right so that you grab them on the 1 frame that they are forced standing. This move has no invincibility so if they do a reversal you can get beaten out of it. The second (and more useful) use is for uncrouchable resets.
Now if you want to incorporate this move into your gameplay it is very, very important that you learn how to do it perfectly cause if this move whiffs you will be on the ground for slightly over a second and will be in front of the opponent the whole time.

Oiling up with this move only increases the damage and range a small amount. EX is only good for punishes since using it in resets is too slow and on their wakeup it’s too obvious, but if you land it while oiled you just caused a massive 250 damage to the other guy.

In v.2012 all version got a startup decrease, making them faster. On top of that medium heavy and ex version will whiff over characters who are crouching. Since this is character specific, here is a list of people it will not work on.

Dudley (mk only), Gouken, Sagat, Abel (mk but hk barelyu goes over), Blanka (works, but mk barely goes over), Zangief (mk only), Balrog, Fei Long ( mk only), T.Hawk (mk only),

Guard Position
No this is not Blanka’s coward crouch, it’s ten times better than that. Just press down and 3 punches and Hakan will quickly duck down, making you go under projectiles and a lot of moves (including shoryuken). This is not counted as a special move, so you can’t cancel it from a normal or use it as a reversal. What you can do though is cancel ex oil shower with this in case someone is about to attack you, or with any oil dive to build a decent amount of meter or trick the opponent.

In v.2012 you can cancel your dash into guard position. This will make you go forward or backward and can make you go through an opponent if you duck down long enough. You can also cancel the back dash into guard position any time you want unlike his normals. Use this to confuse your opponents or FADNC your crouching medium kick into guard position to catch the mashers.

Flying Oil Spin – Super

A super version of oil dive, with 3 differences. It can catch opponents after a focus attack (must do it quickly), what button you press determines the invincibility (lp for hit inv. Mp for grab inv. Hp for projectile inv.). This makes it an okay reversal (if it was faster and not as slow as the hp version, it would be a great reversal). Last but not least oiled up this is the most damaging super in the game, doing 450 damage. Hakan does not use his meter very often, so you can usually build this up and have a great super at your disposal.

In v.2012 this got a startup decrease making it faster. It also goes over opponents if they are crouching (lk super will not go over the oil dive list above and some other characters). Unfortunately the input got stricter so you may see yourself accidentally doing oil shower instead of super a lot more often.

Oil Coaster – Ultra 1
1 frame start-up, invincible, good range, a great grab ultra. It’s one of Hakan’s only viable reversals and ya, wake up ultra is considered noobish, but what else is Hakan going to do? LOOK AT DAT DAMAGE! Oiled up it does 530 damage, making it the most damaging ultra in the game (beating Oni’s ultra 2 by 5 damage lol). Not much else to say really, if you like grabbing and good damage pick ultra 1.

Oil Combination Hold – Ultra 2
The preferred ultra for Hakan (not for me though). An AA ultra that has a good amount of active time, 1 frame start-up, and beats ANYTHING that is in the air ( as long as you’re close enough to Hakan). A simple down down down input and combo-able, but only does 401 damage (450 oiled), so don’t expect to be doing some crazy half health stuff with it (like with ultra 1). This one is perfect against any character with a vortex or who depends on an aerial game (so Ibuki or M.bison for example) and since it is 1 frame, can’t be safe jumped. Expect people trying to bait you when you have this ultra, you just got to have fast reactions and before you know it they will be slipping and sliding all over the place.

Last edited by Slaynman on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:10 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: The Power Of FADNC-ing   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

3) The Power Of FADNC-ing

Now I have mentioned this a couple of times and your probably wondering “what is that? It’s spelled FADC noob” well, It stands for focus attack dash normal cancelling, and is one of the main reasons why Hakan is awesome. I will go over the uses of cancelling you dash with a normal, but be warned, this is an advanced Hakan tactic and you might have some troubles doing it especially if you’re new to playing SSF4. Remember that he can only do this while oiled.

Now before we go over it, how do you do it? Well it’s as simple as dashing and the quickly pressing a button. So forward, forward, then medium punch or something. You can cancel the forward dash easily; a back dash is hard since you can only do it at the very beginning of the dash (so you cancel it so fast Hakan doesn’t even move from the dash).

Cancelling from a forward dash

Doing so will increase the range of your forward normal (especially forward heavy kick) and will allow doing a couple things. A level 1 focus attack doesn’t crumple, and is not enough hitstun to continue a combo right? Well not for Hakan! Do a level 1 focus attack and then when you dash out of it, cancel it with a crouching medium kick (or forward medium punch when you get better at it) and oil slide. This also applies to when you do a FADC and use 2 bars. So for example, oil slide and then FADC, but then cancel the dash with a chain of crouching light kicks. When they block the oil slide you aren’t unsafe, doing it fast enough makes the crouching light kicks part of the blockstring. You can use It to extend combos as well, so crouching medium kick then FADC and cancel the dash with another crouching medium kick into oil slide. Doing combos like that though are difficult and take some practice (it’s not wasting much meter either since if you can land it, it’s extra damage, and Hakan does not desperately need his meter like other characters)

Cancelling from a back dash

Doing this is a lot harder than a forward dash, but has its own uses. You could still do combos with cancelling with a back dash, but why bother when it’s easier with a forward dash? No, it’s main use is when you back dash, you get some invincibility at the start of a backdash, so when you cancel the back dash, you get that small invincibility and attack as well (does not make your normal invincible….I wish). So when someone knocks you down and is going to…..let’s say grab you, back dash on your wakeup and do a standing light punch or two. Their grab will miss and your punch will hit (same goes for a command grab). You could even absorb an attack with an FA and then back dash cancel, it is up to you as long as you don’t get hit. ( it's also funny to FA absorb their jump in attack and backdash cancel and hit them out if the air. Looks like a parry XD)

Last edited by Slaynman on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:11 am; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar errors)
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: When Do I Oil Up?   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

4) When Do I Oil Up?
Out if every Hakan I have seen online, I am the only one who knows when to oil up. Most people tend to do it whenever they can just so they can be oiled (and a couple I saw didn’t even know Oily Hakan was better). Doing this is extremely bad since not only will getting interrupted means less oil time, but they will usually interrupt with a full combo. Learning when to oil up is like learning how to do Ibuki’s vortex, it is crucial you know it and there is no reason why you shouldn’t if you’re an experienced player.

From full screen You can do a lk oil up with the worst thing happening is a fireball hitting you, or do an ex oil up when they throw a fireball at you to get a juicy 15 seconds of oil. The very worst that could happen is if they have a full screen ultra of some kind and your too obvious with oiling up.

After an oil slide – You can do a lk oil and should be safe, but you might be hit by a grab or a reversal if you’re not quick enough. The oil follow up for the oil slide can never be punished in any way.

After a throw – you can do a mk oil and should be relatively safe, but do a hk/ex oil and you might get punished by something like Abel’s Ultra 1. If you are not sure you can always do a lk oil and be perfectly fine.

After an oil rocket – It depends. If you do any version you can do a safe lk oil. You should only do a mk/ hk oil if you do a mp or lp oil rocket.

After a sweep - You can do a lk oil up unless you did the sweep from point blank, if you do it from that close you can get grabbed easily (maybe even hit by a combo)

After an oil dive/flying oil spin- You can do a mk oil and be safe, doing a lk oil will leave you time to do a mixup. All versions are the same in terms of when you can oil up.

After an ultra – You can do hk/ex oil up and be fine. Both of Hakan’s ultras send the opponent on the other side of the screen, so you can do 2 oil ups against most people.

See that wasn’t so hard was it? Just remember when you can oil up and you should be fine.

Last edited by Slaynman on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Combos, Resets, and Mixups   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

5)Combos, Resets, and Mixups
So now you’re thinking to yourself “Hakan has combos?” well yes, he does. I will go over most combos, some useful, others more situational, and will go over all important resets and mixups I know of.

Beginner combos
Got to start somewhere don’t we?

Cr.mk cancel into oil slide - Basic combo, you can also use forward medium punch if they’re a bit too far away and get 10 extra damage.

Standing light punch, crouching light punch cancel into light punch oil slide - You must link the crouching light punch, but it’s fairly easy once you get the timing down.

Focus attack, dash into ultra 1 or 2/super – Remember that Hakan can land both of his ultras and his super after a focus attack, but for the super you will have to back dash for smaller characters after the FA.

Jumping medium punch juggle into forward heavy kick/ oil slide / ultra 2 – forward heavy kick is easy to land (unoiled will reset them, oiled will knock them down), oil slide is slightly harder since it is slower, ultra 2 is extremely easy and can help if your behind on life.

Intermediate combos

Time for some actual combos!

Standing light kick, standing light punch, forward light kick cancel into oil slide – Hakan’s BnB. You can do 2 light kick or 2 light punches, whatever floats your boat since it does the same damage into an oil slide knockdown.

Focus attack lv 1, dash cancel into forward medium punch cancel into oil slide – It is easier to do crouching medium kick but this will reach farther and do a bit more damage.

Focus attack lv 3, focus attack lv 2 dash cancel into forward heavy kick/punch – Heavy kick will cause an untechable knockdown, while heavy punch will cause more damage and reset them.

Standing medium punch, forward light kick cancel into oil slide – A 1 frame link, but don’t let that scare you into trying it, it is actually fairly easy for a 1-framer. It is good to learn this since you can do it from a good range and it does decent damage.

Focus attack lv 3 (wait a little bit) oil slide FADC into ultra 2 – This one combo is the only thing for Hakan that is harder when oiled, but it is also Hakan’s most damaging combo. You don’t get much chance to use it but learn it, style on some fools! (j.mp oil slide FADC ultra 2 does not work)

Hakan-bos

Better make sure you practiced your FADNC before trying these

Crouching medium kick FADNC into crouching medium kick cancel into oil slide – Basic FADNC combo, good practice for when you try to master FADNC’ing

Lv 1 focus attack dash cancel into forward medium punch FADNC into crouching medium kick cancel into oil slide – two dash cancels in one combo? It’s crazy right?

Jumping heavy kick, crouching medium kick FADNC into crouching heavy kick – Nice untechable knockdown

Standing light kick, standing light punch, forward light kick FADNC into crouching medium kick cancel into oil slide – forward light kick FADNC crouching medium kick is difficult, but you can get some good damage off of your BnB with it.

Forward medium punch FADNC forward medium punch FADNC forward medium punch cancel into oil slide – A stylish combo

Standing light punch, standing light kick, forward light kick FADNC , standing light punch, standing light punch, forward light kick FADNC , standing light punch, standing light punch, forward light kick cancel into oil slide – You be styling boy.

I am not going to go over EVERY single little FADNC combo, just remember that you can FADNC his forward medium punch into anything, but you can’t FADNC anything into his forward medium punch.

Grab Resets

Crouching light kickx3, tick into light punch oil rocket – a simple tick throw, must be oiled to do it though

Jumping attack, crouching light kick, tick into ex oil rocket – Used when Hakan is unoiled.

Crouching medium kick FADC ultra 1 – if they don’t see it coming you get some nice damage, and if you try it again they might jump, so do an air grab instead.

Standing medium punch, forward light kick, tick into ultra 1/ oil rocket – You might have to do a walking 720 if you do the forward light kick from too far away.

Oil slide FADC crouching light kickx2-3, tick into oil rocket – Best when Hakan is oiled so he can FADNC.

Oil Dive Resets ( and oil dive setups on wakeup)

I love these, they happen so fast that you won’t even know how you got grabbed, and you can’t crouch these oil dives either! (Unless you mistime it or if you opponent knows how to counter it, if they know how then do not use these often). These can be avoided by the opponent doing an invincible reversal, or doing a crouching normal on their wakeup, and if they backdash (if they backdash, you have to delay the oil dive to catch them after the invinciblity ends). The oil dive setups/resets do not work on cammy, blanka, dhalsim, and E.honda

Standing light kick, standing light punch, crouching light punch cancel into medium kick oil dive – You can’t crouch the oil dive, but if they’re mashing a reversal you will get hit.

Forward light kick cancel into heavy kick oil dive - This one is actually very good since you end your combos with forward light kick normally, so what looks like another hit confirm into oil slide will lead into tons of more damage if the opponent isn't careful. Remember that this was found by slaynman on december 18th and edited into this guide on december 19th. 10 days before the Infiltration video

Forward medium punch cancel into heavy kick oil dive – can’t crouch the oil dive, but you will get hit by a mashed reversal.

After an body press, back dash then heavy kick oil dive – pretty obvious if you do it too much

After a body press, whiff a standing heavy punch/crouching heavy kick, medium kick oil dive – same as above, use sparingly

After a landed oil dive, whiff a standing light punch, jump forward into medium kick oil dive – If a zangief player does not know how to counter this, the matchup is 10-0 Hakan. You will be on the other side of the opponent when you do this.

After a crouching heavy kick, dash forward then heavy kick oil dive – This one is fairly quick so they might not see it coming.

EX oil rocket, whiff a forward heavy kick then medium kick oil dive – simple

New oil dive resets

Now I found this out not too long ago, and it's pretty cool. Standing light punch is +5 on hit/+4 on block, standing medium punch is +4 on hit, standing hard punch/standing medium kick is +3 on hit. None of these moves can be special cancelled, and don't really do anything by themselves. If you end a combo with these moves then do a lk oil dive, it is uncrouchable. I will try to find out a bit more about this since I haven't tested it out a lot yet, but st.lp will still work even if blocked and st.hp/st.mk are extremely hard to do.

I do not go on the eventhubs or SRK forums, so if this has already been found out let me know.

Oil slide wakeup options

After body press, whiff a standing medium punch/standing light punch, then jumping heavy kick/medium kick – If you walk forward 1-2 frames this will cross up on some characters. Even if you don’t try to cross up, this always looks like it will so it can be confusing for opponents to block.

After a body press, back dash, then forward dash, then oil rocket – this can trick the opponent into thinking you’re going to oil dive if you’ve done it before.

After a body press, whiff a standing light punch, and then neutral jump heavy kick – To fully utilize this, you must use an option select since you are far away enough for them to think they can back dash safely. Best to OS an oil slide.

After an oil follow up, whiff a forward light kick/ standing medium punch, then do ultra 1 – The normal will go through them but not hit them, so you can do an ultra and confuse them. If they are the reversal type of opponent, pick ultra 2.

FA Resets
I say lv 3 since it does more damage, but lv 2 should work fine

Focus attack lv 3, focus attack lv 2 FADNC into a forward heavy punch – You push the opponent pretty far away, so see if you can land a forward heavy kick for a knock down

Focus attack lv 3, wait a bit, crouching medium kick cancel into oil slide – if you do a light/medium oil slide, you will hit meaty and be relatively safe, if you do heavy/EX, you will go past them making them miss if they do a reversal

Focus attack lv 3, wait a bit, standing light kick then forward dash – My favourite, so tricky. If you dash right away you will be behind them, if you wait even half a second you will stay In front.

Focus attack lv 3, jump (whiff an air grab since Hakan goes “seriously?” and it’s funny), then crouching light kick, forward dash into EX oil rocket – Tricky stuff, since EX will beat some non-grab invincible reversals and you can just block if know they’re going to do a reversal.

Last edited by Slaynman on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:13 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Option Selects and Safe Jumps   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:14 pm

6) Option Selects and Safe Jumps

If you do not know what an option select is what do I look like? Some sort of gui-wait…. Anyways Option Select refers to combinations of buttons that will result in a different action depending on what the other player is doing. One example is crouching and pressing light kick and light punch, which would perform a throw if you were standing. If the other player tries to throw you while doing this then you will tech the throw but otherwise you will perform a crouching light kick. A safe jump is just when you jump and if they reversal you can block when you land, if they don’t you can continue the block/hitstring.

What does Hakan have for safe jumps?

Not much…

Medium oil rocket, dash forward and jumping attack – fairly easy right? You are pretty far away from the opponent so if they just block you can’t do a whole lot. What this can do is safe jump a 3-frame reversal, don't believe me? Try it yourself in training.

Oil slide FADC (backdash the FADC) then jumping attack – a little harder since it costs 2 bars and you actually have a lot of time to FADC an oil slide, so you might do it too late or a little too early.

OS’ing with oil slide
Oil slide can catch most backdashes, but it is slow and has no invincibility so only use it against some characters who don’t have a good reversal ( viper if she uses ex seismo and you use lp oil slide, makoto, another hakan). This is also the easiest one to do but not the best one, still learn it though.

OS’ing with forward heavy kick

This is meant to catch backdashes since it’s slow and can be beaten by a lot of things. It will catch some fast backdashes though, and it has great range so it can even catch someone like dan. Another thing about forward heavy kick is that it will auto tech a grab for you if someone tries to grab you during the start-up (so if you oil slide FADC then F+HK and they grab, you tech it.)

OS’ing with Oil dive

My favourite one Very Happy. Slow and no invincibility, it is mainly used for people with really slow backdashes and teleports, especially teleports. This is perfect against someone like dhalsim who has no escape except for teleport. It can also be used against someone spamming divekicks, so instead of crouch teching, you crouch tech while OS’ing oil dive (confusing? Ya lol). Same thing applies for super but it’s a little harder to do.

OS’ing with ex oil rocket
Normal oil rocket is not advised, and this is only used against people who don’t have a grab invincible reversal. Abel is the only person I know of that you would use this against.

OS'ing your grabs
What do I mean? Well your normal grab of course. What you do is when you're going for a grab, input the motion for an oil dive. If the grab hits or gets teched, you'll be fine, but if they backdash and your grab whiffs, the oil dive will come out.

OS’ing with ultra
Ultra 1 is same as ex oil rocket. Ultra 2 on the other hand would be very useful, unfortunately it is very difficult (at least for me). Ultra 2 will catch anything that is considered in the air, including back dashing on their wakeup (if the backdash doesn’t go far, like adons).

If you still don’t know what an OS or safejump is, go look it up.

Last edited by Slaynman on Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:15 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar errors)
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Other Info and Stuff   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:15 pm

7) Other Info and Stuff

Hitboxes

Red means where the move hits, green means where Hakan can get hit (so green means hurtbox)

Hakan’s jumping and ground normals : http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/hakans-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-1/

Hakan’s forward normal, grabs and some special moves: http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/hakans-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-2/

Hakan’s other special moves, super and ultras: http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2011/sep/30/hakans-hit-box-information-super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-image-3/

Frame Data

If you don’t know how to read it, look it up. The only thing I noticed wrong with this frame data is that they don’t tell you that forward light kick is special cancellable.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2010/may/06/hakans-frame-data-super-street-fighter-4/

Frame Traps
What You thought Hakan didn't have frame traps? Well he had very little that I did not post here, but thanks to good ol' sudafreekan, here is a nice video on many useful frame traps for the oily man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MJldYCccaw

It's no Cody, but it'll do.

Music
Better version of Hakan’s theme (yes this is totally important): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0SHqrHIzw

Piano version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb6cEKcBg8A

Low tier Entertainment
If you can’t grasp some of this stuff, here’s a video showing some of it (this is from super, but all of it applies to arcade edition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ_Alb4nMFQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAFx6xE9yKU

AE v.2012

A big list of balance changes are coming in December, and some are minor, others pretty big.

• Applying Oil - Made it possible to get oiled from start of round. Effect lasts approximately 10 seconds. *major*
• Vertical Jumping Light Punch - Changed hitbox active period from 3F to 8F. *minor*
• Vertical Jumping Medium Punch - Changed hitbox active period from 2F to 4F. *minor*
• Vertical Jumping Light Kick - Changed hitbox active period from 7F to 11F. Expanded hitbox and moved it upward. *minor*
• Angled Jumping Light Punch - Changed hitbox active period from 6F to 8F. *slightly minor*
• Guard Position - Made move slide when executed from a dash or backstep while oiled. *pretty major*
• Oil Dive - Adjusted trajectory and reach of hitbox to bolster heavy and EX versions. Changed to fly over crouching opponents (not all characters) when the medium or heavy version is executed at close range. Changed light version's startup from 14F to 9F, EX version's startup from 22F to 19F, and reduced max. power stun. Expanded hitbox downward for all versions. *Really major*
• Crouching Heavy Punch - Changed to a 2-hit attack. Also altered the total frame count, leaving the attacker with a -3F (dis)advantage on a hit, and a -6F (dis)advantage when blocked. *minor*
• Standing Light Punch - Changed to a +4F advantage when blocked. *pretty major*
• Flying Oil Spin - Adjusted light version's startup from 18F to 9F, and medium version's startup from 18F to 12F. Changed to fly over crouching opponents (not all characters) when the medium or heavy version is executed at close range. Removed hurtbox around arm at startup. *major*
• Hakan Tackle - Contracted upper hurtbox downward at start of hit detection to match the rest of the active period.Contracted active period front hurtbox backward to match the situation immediately after detection starts. *pretty major*
• Oil Slide - Changed to do 100 points of stun when the slide originates from an Oil Shower move. Made Super Meter bonus 30 when the slide originates from an Oil Shower move. Made effect of oil when the slide originates from an Oil Shower move last for 450F (approx. 7.5 seconds). *pretty minor*

Any more info on Hakan?

Why of course there is! You can check out the SRK or eventhubs forums and read as much as to your hearts desire.

SRK Hakan forum(from kokobananaman to samurai drew post here, so you're gonna get a lot of info.: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/hakan.41/

Eventhubs Hakan forum (not much activity here sadly): http://forums.eventhubs.com/viewforum.php?f=36

Pro Hakan players

If you want to see a pro Hakan player, I’m on youtube and I-nah I’m kidding. I am on youtube but you should look up Wildcat’s Hakan since he is the best one out there at the moment, and not Hakan Wildcat because apparently that’s an actor.

El-Kalam is another great Hakan player, watch as he reads people’s minds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTPTcsCW3Z8 (for more videos go to his channel)

Infiltration, a high level akuma player, recently started trying out Hakan. Here is one match of him and you can find much more on vesperarcade's youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D2MfyZa3bE

sudafreekan (also known as samurai drew)is a person who uploads mostly Hakan related things, and lots of cool resets/tricky stuff with Hakan. https://www.youtube.com/user/sudafreekan

Final words
Thanks to Mince for helping the smallest amount, I appreciate it.

Now all of this (if you bothered to read it) may seem a bit overwhelming. Trying to apply everything at once will just cause problems, so try to practice one thing at a time, pace yourself.

I hope you enjoyed this and if you have any questions just ask. I am on ps3 only if you’re interested in playing (I will not except random friend requests though). ). If this somehow gets noticed (doubt it will) and you want to post it somewhere else, please give credit where credit is due. After some practice you will be ready to play Hakan and cover the world in your oils! . . . Wait that didn’t come out right.

* lists of strengths/weaknesses, frame data, hitboxes, and v.2012 changes courtesy of eventhubs. *

Last edited by Slaynman on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:16 am; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : New section in 7))
Back to top Go down
Mincereth
Admin
Mincereth

PSN : Mincereth

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 8:33 pm

This is a freakin' awesome guide. This needs to be shown to our Gamefaqs brethren as well.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mincereth
mrmajikbus45

mrmajikbus45

PSN : majikbus45

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Keeping your word, but I know it's plagarized. It only has miniscule amounts of your sarcasm in it. Nah, decent guide though.
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Mincereth wrote:
This is a freakin' awesome guide. This needs to be shown to our Gamefaqs brethren as well.

Should it? I guess when v.2012 hits and I change this I can.

and lol majik, none of that here. This is totally 99.9% me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Added the v.2012 changes to part 7 and put a major/minor sign next to all of them to indicate how helpful the buffs will be. I will also change this guide around (mostly in the oil dive reset section) when I get to try out v.2012. Some more feedback would be appreciated, but who here is actually trying to learn Hakan? lol
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 6:14 pm

Added the useful 2012 changes and the undocumented ones I found. Also changed the oil dive reset section a small amount to accommodate the new startup time (not every reset has been tested so sorry in advance if one doesn't work at the moment). All v.2012 changes are in bold at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Mincereth
Admin
Mincereth

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 7:33 pm

I will learn him eventually. So many characters left to add under my belt lol
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Mincereth wrote:
I will learn him eventually. So many characters left to add under my belt lol

Well if you ever need help, just ask.
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 am

New guide changes

- fixed some grammar errors

- made some things easier to read with font and size changes

- added something nice and juicy that is new to AE 2012 in the reset section (don't worry, its in big bold letters in case you don't want to miss it)

Until something new pops up with Hakan or I find another grammar error, then I am basically done with this guide (except for other info and stuff. I will always try to find more hakan music and pro hakan players.)

Thanks in advance if you have read this and would gladly like any feedback.
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 am

More grammar errors fixed, but that's not the news.

The news is due to gamefaqs new wiki section (just a better version of the faq section it used to have) I have been able to put this guide on gamefaqs (it passed the mods and is on there right now if you want to see it).
Back to top Go down
Mincereth
Admin
Mincereth

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 pm

That is awesome news! I might do that with Fuerte then. Go GFAQS for finally updating their site
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 pm

Mincereth wrote:
That is awesome news! I might do that with Fuerte then. Go GFAQS for finally updating their site

Ya man, go update your fuerte one already Razz
Back to top Go down
Slaynman

Slaynman

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 am

Hakan has frame traps, don't believe me? Just look at the new video in the other info section. (thanks to way better hakan players like sudafreekan/drew)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)   So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So you want to learn Hakan? (the beginner's guide)
Page 1 of 1